I have been doing written journals but I thought that I would be more consistent if I started to blog. Therefore the following journal is one from earlier on in November but I though it would be nice to include them all.
Drama Journal # 1 (for lack a better name, they'll get better, hopefully)
So far being in the IB theatre program has been a great experience. IN the past I have felt that the IB program wasn't for me because of the rigorous academics. With the introduction to IB Theatre it was an instant realization that this is where I fit not. Not that it is not academic, but in a different way. Even though it has only been about two and a half months, I feel that I am already learning so much. I have learned that some of the best acting does not only happen on stage but the few moments before are what really drive a performance. There are so many things that you have to be thinking about; where you're going, where you've been, what's your purpose and what do you want. Not only have these skills helped me in class but they have also helped me in my presentations as well as my writing skills. I have found that these theatre skills are also helpful in our everyday lives. Every single moment of your life you want something. It may be something small that will help you with your more "long-term wants."
I think that before this year I was naive thinking that a Theatre course was easy. I have realized that the people who are acting and backstage, if they do it right, can make a performance look seamless even if it was very difficult.
I know there is a lot to learn this year but I am actually looking forward to all the work because there are so many new, exciting things to learn.
One thing that I found very interesting to learn about was the three circles of attention. Though this lesson I realized that even when a character is reflecting within, there are different ways to portray that on stage. Not only does this apply to Theatre Arts but in our everyday lives we are always thinking in our first, second or third circles of attention.
One of the most influential things I have learned is that you have to assume that your audience is smarter than you think they are. A role can be dry and boring if you over act it. Even the smallest of gestures can allow you to discreetly show the audience what the character is feeling.
I would like to talk briefly about the object performance. I believe that this was a technical more aspect of theatre. Reflecting on my performance, I feel that I need to work on my entrances. I knew where I was coming from but the physical aspect of opening the door was difficult. I though that I did well on keeping focus and using my forth wall.
--------------------------
It was very funny to read this over again. It's funny how people change.
No comments:
Post a Comment